B78 Athlete running

5 Tips to Improve Your Running

Here are 5 simple ways you can speed up your running:

Tip #1 – Consistency

Consistency is the cornerstone to improvement. Unfortunately running a couple of times a week is not really going to get you there. Many of us are busy and it can be difficult to squeeze it in but if you want to get better you have to find a way to make it happen. Consistent and short is better than inconsistent and epic. Even if you can only get out for a mile of your six-mile run it will serve you better than not running at all. Make it part of your non negotiable routine and you will improve.

Tip #2 – Run Faster

You are not going to get faster unless you actually run faster. You don’t need to run fast all the time. Short, fast bursts of speed in prescribed workouts will do the trick. As you adapt to the stimulus, your ‘normal’ running pace will improve too!

Tip #3 – Work Hard – Train Smarter

No one said it was easy to get faster. You have to be ready to work hard when it is time to work hard and take it easy when it is time to take it easy. A good rule of thumb is to commit 80% of your mileage to easy running and the other 20% to harder efforts (intervals).

Tip #4 – Technique and Efficiency

Running technique can help you maximize your efficiency and can help you move faster. Here are four simple things you can do to improve.
Focus on standing tall (imagine a string pulling you up by the back of your head)
Look ahead (not at your feet)
Incorporate a relaxed arm swing from the shoulders
Quick foot contact (power off those toes).

Tip #5 – Communication

Your coach needs to know how your training is going. Regular communication beyond just downloading the data from your GPS watch will ensure that your training program is pushing you in all the right ways.

Kristina Rody

This months running tips were written by B78 coach Kristina Rody. Kristina hails from the much celebrated University of Guelph Cross Country and Track and Field programs where she earned a Masters Degree in Rural Planning and Development. Kristina was a star athlete winning both the OUA and CIS national titles in cross country. She was awarded the 2004/2005 Athlete of the Year and the 2001 Sportswoman of the Year at the University of Guelph. In 2010 Kristina was the BC Senior Road Runner of the Year. Kristina raced for Saucony Canada for over a decade.

Kristina trained under three of Canada’s best endurance coaches in Dave Scott-Thomas, Peter Grinsberg and Richard Lee. She has her Level 1 NCCP certification and is a trained Club Coach. She has coached many groups over the years including her roll as an assistant coach at the University of Guelph.

Know more about Kristina!

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top